<span class="highlight">Cape</span> <span class="highlight">York</span>

My husband and I plan on travelling to Cape York next year and would like to stop at a few places going up there. Can anyone tell us what the camping/fishing is like at Carmilla Beach and Archer Point. We are fairly new to camping and 4x4 so any hints would be great. We have a 1998 Holden Jackaroo is there anything that we should have fitted to the vehicle before we leave. Regards Mandy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member Andys Adventures - Friday, Dec 09, 2011 at 08:41

Friday, Dec 09, 2011 at 08:41
Also try Port Stewart, It is only 60klm off the Development road and the Aboriginal elders name is Rex. He can show you where to fish and camp. Last year he offered to take me turtle hunting. very quite place, no tourists their.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 472043

Follow Up By: Kelvin R - Friday, Dec 09, 2011 at 11:49

Friday, Dec 09, 2011 at 11:49
G day Andy We to will be heading up to the cape next year and curious to know exactly where the turn off is.
FollowupID: 746822

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Dec 09, 2011 at 12:03

Friday, Dec 09, 2011 at 12:03
The turnof to Port Stewart is 80 Kms north of Musgrave Roadhouse on the Peninsular Development Road.

We visited Cape Melville when heading north we got permission from Gavin Bassini to turn up the Lilly Vale and Running Creek track to get to Port Stewart. We had actually taken the Starcke Track from Cooktown up to camp at Cape Melville and exited the cape via Lakefield and a stop at the Pandanus Veterans Retreat at Kalpower. So the Running Creek track was worth a look. It was too wet and boggy for us and we had to retreat back to the PDR. But it may be acceptable when you get there. A good map to get is the hema "Cape" map.

Gavin Bassini can be contacted at gavb07@yahoo.com.au. I am not sure of his position in the community but he was most helpfull.

Phil

FollowupID: 746825

Follow Up By: Kelvin R - Friday, Dec 09, 2011 at 12:20

Friday, Dec 09, 2011 at 12:20
Thanks for that Phil greatly appreciated

Kelvin
FollowupID: 746828

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Dec 09, 2011 at 12:48

Friday, Dec 09, 2011 at 12:48
Any time Kevin

How long have you got for the Cape?

Phil
FollowupID: 746830

Follow Up By: Mandy B - Friday, Dec 09, 2011 at 13:17

Friday, Dec 09, 2011 at 13:17
Thanks for that Andy. Do you need a permit? If so where do you get it from and does it cost anything for camping.
FollowupID: 746835

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Friday, Dec 09, 2011 at 14:35

Friday, Dec 09, 2011 at 14:35
No permit is required, Just see Rex and he will look after you. It is $10.00 per night, and you must be self contained, but just ask for a mud crab for dinner. Oh If you get the chance to go turtle hunting you should take a camera. And as vk1dx posted Lakefield NP at Kalpowar crossing is great to $ 5.15 a night (it might have gone up a little by now ) Hope you enjoy your trip as much as I did

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 746842

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Dec 09, 2011 at 15:36

Friday, Dec 09, 2011 at 15:36
Two minor things so that there isn't any confusion.

Firstly I did not stay at the camping area at Kalpowar. I stayed at the Pandanus Vietnam Veterans Sanctuary which is just east of Kalpowar so I cannot comment on the place right at the Kalpowar crossing.

Secondly in my post I mentioned a road from Lakefield to Port Stewart that runs through Lily Vale and Running Creek. That road/track is on private property and as far as I know you will still need permission from the contact I gave to drive across that way. He may well be the same person to give permission to camp at the port.

I am not away of the current permission requirements for Port Stewart so Andy may well be right there.

I think this is still the case Andy. Any comment so that I can update my maps?

Phil
FollowupID: 746847

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Friday, Dec 09, 2011 at 16:00

Friday, Dec 09, 2011 at 16:00
Hi Phil, I haven't been through to running creek, I used the turn off 80klm north of Musgrave and the road is sealed in parts. When you get to Port Stewart their is only a small community centre and 4 houses, and a boat ramp. This is a public road and has signs at the start as to where you camp and who to pay. They may have changed since last year.. In Camps 6 it says register at community office, that is the first building as you come in on your right. Oh and Kalpowar crossing is quite a nice place with toilets and showers 9 camp spots on the river. Unfortunately I'm not a Vietnam veteran, as I believe Pandanus is great place too.
Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 746852

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Dec 09, 2011 at 16:35

Friday, Dec 09, 2011 at 16:35
I figured that you used the northern access. That coast run can be a bit tricky.

We did not actually make it out to the port as we changed plans when we found the Running Creek way was a no go for us. Instead we headed a bit further north. We had actually gotten behind because we stayed at Pandanus a bit longer because we were enjoying the quiet time away from every one and the fishing was fine also.

Maybe next time.

Cheers

Phil
FollowupID: 746857

Sponsored Links